Today's episode of the Manaverse Podcast features Steve Ellis, the co-owner of Rainy Day Games in Aloha, Oregon. Steve had so much insight into the world of game store ownership that I once again had to split the episode into two parts. With over fifteen years of experience running a full line game store Steve has pretty much seen it all. And lucky for us, he also pretty much shares it all.
Steve digs deep and we explore some of the most meaningful aspects of entrepreneurship and community building. The story of Rainy Day Games is a great example of what makes the LGS business model truly unique. If you're looking for a good example of the mindset you need to succeed, Steve has you covered.
Over the course of this episode we also talk about:
- The new hotness in Aloha, Disc Golf
- The Rainy Day Games origin story
- How to hire and then keep the best employees
- The importance of expertise when it comes to specialty retail
- Online sales versus offline sales
- The viability of a Magic exclusive business
- How Steve works with nearby LGSs so everybody wins
- Taking advantage of the information that's out there before you get started